- Patch libmemcache
- Compile and install libmemcache
- sudo apt-get install python-dev
- sudo python setup.py install
- Download the actual memcached, compile and install
- Use it (StringClient for strings, Client uses pickle for other types):
It's been a while since I used patch, so I thought I'd record the command I used. This was a multifile patch, and it applies the patches to all the right files. How cool is that! The -p1 prunes off one slash of the path since my directory was different to the guys who made the patch.
patch -b -p1 -i libmemcache-1.4.0.rc2.patch